Follow the instructions below to get started.
Go to the test page, select your language pair from the drop down menu, and click Show tests.
Can't find your test? See why here.
When you click Show tests, your test page will refresh and your test options will appear below. In this case, I've selected English to Chinese (Traditional), and it tells me that the pre-test is the first step I need to clear.
Note: Some language pairs do not have the pre-test scheme yet. For those pairs, you can access the Standard test straight away (if it's available).
Click on the "Start" button to begin the pre-test.
The pre-test consists of 5 multiple-choice questions. Choose the answer that most accurately translates the question text.
You need to pay special attention to detail. All the wrong answers contain either spelling errors, obvious mistranslations or omissions.
After you finish, you will immediately receive your result. You must answer at least 4 out of 5 answers correctly to pass. If you get 5/5 correct answers, you may take the Standard or Pro level test. If you get 4 correct answers, you may take the Standard level test.
You will have three attempts to take this test, so if you didn't pass the first time, we encourage you to try again.
To move on to the Standard or Pro translation test, go to your test page and scroll down to see your available options.
IMPORTANT: You don't need to choose your language pair again from the menus.
You will be asked to translate a source text of roughly 300 words.
There is no time limit and there is no 'save' feature, so we recommend you to save your translation offline.
If you need to close your browser and continue at a later time, you will be able to continue the test from the tests page by clicking "Start" again.
As long as you don't click Submit, it will not count as a test attempt.
As it's not possible to add any formatting to the tests (bold, italics, non-breaking spaces, etc.) this won't count against you.
Once you have finished and carefully reviewed your test translation, click the Submit button. A confirmation window will pop-up, click Ok.
When will my test be reviewed?
- Within 7 days. However this is not a guarantee. If 7 days pass and you still haven't received your results, please submit a request to support.
How do I check my test status?
- You can check the status of each of your tests on the Tests page. This page will show you which language pair tests you've started and which levels you've passed or failed.
How many times can I test, and how long do I need to wait?
- After you fail a test, you need to wait 72 hours (3 days) to be able to try again. You can test up to three times during a six-month period. If you fail the three times, you'll need to wait six months to get another three chances.
Can I see the full test results?
- Sorry, no. To avoid potential sharing of correct/incorrect answers we do not allow test-takers to see their questions after completing the test. We understand this can be frustrating, however the validity of our tests is vital to us and our translator network.
May I share details of the test with others?
- No. Test answers are not to be shared with other test takers. We routinely change test questions and answers, and conduct automated online searches to find content from our tests.
I've been a professional translator for over 6 years, why didn't I pass the Standard test?
- A common reason why you may not have passed the test the first time around is that you might not have paid careful attention to minor errors such as punctuation and/or you made some mistakes that conflicted with our Style Guide or the Getting Started Guide. For this reason it's very important to read both from our Resources page. Note our error tolerance varies from level to level. To learn how to pass the test and error tolerance please read our Test Expectations here.
I would like to dispute my test result
- Although we're unable to reconsider our decision, we are happy to pass on your feedback to the reviewer. To do this, please complete our Review Feedback form.