Translators provide services to Gengo as independent contractors. It is the responsibility of each translator to determine the tax requirements in their relevant country or jurisdiction, as well as other requirements (such as whether they need to register as self-employed/freelancer).
Gengo does not withhold taxes from fees paid to you. However, to request a payout from us, you must fill in and submit electronically a tax form declaring your taxpayer status. We require this to fulfill our obligations with the U.S. government, and we use the form solely for record-keeping purposes.
Depending on your situation, you must request either the W-9 form or the W-8BEN form:
- If you are a U.S. citizen, you must submit a W-9 form
- If you live in the U.S. (resident alien) and are legally allowed to work in the U.S., you must submit a W-9 form
- If you are NOT a U.S. citizen, and you live outside the U.S. (i.e. you live in any country except the U.S.), you must submit a W-8BEN form
- If you are NOT a U.S. citizen, and you live inside the US without permission to work, you cannot work for Gengo
When you try to request your first payout, you will be redirected to the Taxpayer Status page where you can get your tax form. You will need to submit your tax form before your payout request is acknowledged, so be sure to go back and request your payout again after submitting your tax form.
Click on "Email me my link to the W-9 form" or "Email me my link to the W-8BEN form" and you will receive an email from Zoho Sign.
Open the email you should have received from Zoho Sign. It should look like this:
After clicking on the "Start Signing" button, you will be directed to Zoho Sign. Here you can fill in the required fields (marked with a red asterisk) and complete it with an e-signature.
The link to the form will expire in 15 days, so please be sure to complete it as soon as possible. Otherwise, you will have to request a new tax form to be emailed to you.
- If you are filling out the W-9 form (for U.S. citizens or U.S. resident aliens), please read the W-9 instructions from the IRS website. In most cases, your completed form should look like in this example:
- If you are filling out the W-8BEN form (for everyone else), please read the W-8BEN instructions from the IRS website. In most cases, your completed form should look like in this example:
Once you click "Finish" to submit your form, you can go back to the Taxpayer Status page and it will show the date and time we received your signed tax document.
Note: it may take a few hours for your taxpayer status to update on Gengo's side. Please do not request or submit a new form. If you are unsure if we received your tax form correctly, please contact support and we'll check that for you.
No, you must fill and sign the form digitally on Zoho Sign. We can't accept printed, scanned or downloaded forms. You can, however, download your form in PDF format for your own records.
If you have accidentally requested the wrong form, you can cancel it and request to have the correct one emailed to you instead.
If you need to make changes to the tax form you already signed, click on Request a new form. The page will reload and you will need to click on either "Email me my link to the W-9 form" or "Email me my link to the W-8BEN form" to receive a new email from Zoho Sign with a link to fill your new tax form.
Keep in mind that, once you click Request a new form, your previous form will become void, and you will need to complete the new form to be able to request a payout.
If your personal circumstances change (i.e. your name if you get married, your address if you move, etc.), you should submit an updated tax form as soon as possible. To update your tax form, please click Request a new form on the Taxpayer Status page of your translator dashboard.
And that's all there is to know about how to sign your tax form! Be sure to check this other article to learn how to get paid once you have completed your tax form, and if there’s anything else on your mind, feel free to contact support.