What qualifications or experience do you need to translate with Gengo?
You don’t need translation qualifications or experience to become a Gengo translator; we’re happy to work with anyone who can pass our translation tests and consistently translate to our standards.
This makes Gengo a great option for both established translators and beginners with strong language skills.
Please note that we expect our translators to be native speakers of their target language.
Is there a minimum age to join as a translator?
Yes, you must be at least 18 years of age to join Gengo as a translator.
Who can work for Gengo?
You CAN work for Gengo if...
- If you are a U.S. citizen; OR
- If you live in the U.S. (resident alien) and are legally allowed to work in the U.S.; OR
- If you are NOT a U.S. citizen, and you live outside the U.S. (i.e. you live in any country except the U.S.)
You CANNOT work for Gengo if...
- If you are NOT a U.S. citizen, and you live inside the U.S. without permission to work; OR
- If you are based in certain countries that cannot legally conduct business with U.S. companies. Currently these countries are: Cuba, Crimea, Iran, North Korea, Syria. Please note there may be other countries restricted by law, as this changes occasionally. Click here for more information on these laws.
How do I become a Gengo translator?
Step 1: Sign up
Step 2: Enter your details
Please enter your name and address.
Step 3: Tell us your experience
Tell us about your experience as a translator and topics of interest, so we can better match you to available projects.
Step 4: Take the Gengo translator test
Before you attempt a Gengo translator test, be sure to read the Test Instructions, Test Expectations and Style Guide. Gengo is a little different to other translation companies and these documents will help you understand our system and approach.
Start the Test
When you’re ready to test, go to the Tests page in your Work Dashboard, log in, select your language pair, click SHOW TESTS and start testing.
Your test will be reviewed by one of our Language Specialists, who are professional translators and native speakers in the target language. We receive an extremely high volume of test submissions, and they will do their best to review your test in 7-14 days, however this is not a guarantee.
IMPORTANT: You can test up to three times during a six-month period. We encourage you to try again if you don't pass the first time!