Recently, many clients have been providing lots of jobs at once. While this is fine, especially because more people can be able to grab jobs, I noticed in most cases it causes a server overload and either the pages become unresponsive/take a huge time to be loaded or the whole website goes down, what makes it impossible for us, translators, to grab jobs easily or even work on them — since most times the automatic saving feature stops working due to the overloading and our translated jobs are gone or it takes so long for us to load the website that the deadline becomes closer.
Limiting clients to submit tons of jobs at once
They are still submitting, and the link with the instructions does not even work.
Yeah, seems like since yesterday the system is pretty bogged down. It's always hard to judge these kinds of things from the outside and it might be a coincidence, but it looks like the submission of the latest batch by the customer or project manager brought the website to its knees completely yesterday. No idea if it's the process itself or the number of translators it attracts.
From my point of view, it seems like it would be a good idea to put a stop to this now, cancel some of the translations that haven't been picked up yet and release them in smaller batches over time.
They don't attract me very much, that's for sure.
The thing is, I would expect the big number of translators working at the same time to be the problem, but this was a Sunday. Maybe more people have time on a Sunday, but how many would be ready to jump on a job right away? So it might be a more basic problem coupled with the number of language pairs this is submitted for. Or it's just a coincidence. The platform has been slow or had some downtime even without many jobs (that I could see) recently, and now the big number of jobs adds to that. Additionally, it appears to be working a bit quicker again at the moment.
As for the jobs in question, it's true that the link for the instructions doesn't work, but that seems to be because of Gengo's automated censoring. Might be there's an @ in there or something like that. I'll let support know.
Also a heavily caveated word of caution: It's entirely possible I'm misremembering things or that I'm thinking of a different customer, but I think last time there were extensive approval/payment delays for these kinds of jobs, much longer than the already long ten days given at the top (but the ones back then used proofreading, which made things worse, so let's hope that's sorted for good).
Regarding the jobs, I have contacted the support about the broken path too. I'm assuming we are all talking about the same collections here.
I got a working link back in the meantime, but I don't think I can share it as it contains the email address of a project manager. I asked, though.
I agree that there's no point releasing 100+ Standard jobs at one go and slow down everyone's dashboard. Either give translators the option to temporarily hide Standard jobs (even better, hide all collections from a particular 'batch'), or release the collections in smaller batches as Chris suggested so that they wouldn't just sit there and negatively impact translators who are not going to pick them up.
Please...Please...Please do something about this. I have to keep signing in just to pick a job. It's so disappointing and tiring, that's for sure!