I'm doing a very big translation: 122 $ reward at Pro rate, but 90% of it are these "locked" segments that are not counted, so it loads way, way more text at once (since it is all in a single job instead of a collection) than you may imagine, and the workbench simply can't cope with it in a reasonable capacity. I'm pretty sure this is not on my device, but on the workbench itself.
It just lags a lot, anything takes ages, from going to the next text box to even typing, it really kills any chance to get in the "flow" of typing a translation. This adds a lot of frustration and extra time. It borders on unmanageable... or it may as well be, depending on how patient you are.
I think it's not an exaggeration to say that this translation will take at least twice the time it would have normally taken. It seems to get slower the further down I get into it, so I may even have to drop it.
I tried with other browsers and the performance is pretty much the same.
Please look into this and fix it if possible.
Agreed, and I can confirm the delays. I'm not sure if they can fix it, but if it turns out to be impossible, they should limit the size of collections for non-document-based jobs or supply an easy way to export and import our translations.
Even just a couple of seconds delay per segment add up really fast if the number of segments is high enough.
It has happened to me as well. I was literally down to one character every 3-4 seconds.
I contacted support on two separate occasions, they are aware of the situation, but it seems nothing has been done to avoid this situation going forward as I picked up a similar job a few days ago with over a hundred greyed segments. It took me more time to find the empty segments than to translate them.
I really don't see why it can't be easily resolved by putting a cap on the number of separate segments in a single job. If they were individual jobs in a collection, you could at least use the filter functions.
To be honest, I don't know if there's a difference in speed between the same amount of segments per job and jobs per collection. Sounds plausible that separate jobs might be a bit faster, though, plus there is the advantage of filtering you mentioned (same problem with the progress indicator).
But big collections with multiple jobs have definitely been very slow for me, too.
Gengo still uses RSS notifications, it's not about convenience lol
I would like to support this. I recently worked on an editing job with about 16,000 units (separate segments in one single jobs, no greyed segments). Every time I wanted to work on the document, it took about half an hour for the document to load so that I could search within it or even save my changes. The first translator did not even manage to load the comments (they apparently got a time-out message), so that every comment from them to the customer had to be forwarded via Support. There was a lot of comments and back and forth with the customer (understandable for such a big job), so a lot of extra work for everybody that could have been avoided. I myself did four revisions of the job, each took me about an hour for what should have been ten minutes. I know because I drafted my revisions in a separate file first, in order to get into the "flow" Gabriel mentioned, and inserted them later. It is true that big jobs like this are not ordered very often, but still, it seems not very professional and should be improved. Please, Gengo!
yeah this is a pain.
that and on a recent job i got some 'glitches' when trying to copy/paste the code for one or two segments, rendering it impossible to submit the file, throwing me into a tech panic that nearly cost me the whole job, and then became messy because the (trying to be helpful) support person then submitted the not-yet-proofread job for me, so i had to go back over everything in a separate document, asking her to make changes and copying out the ID # of the specific string each time i wanted to make a change (there were dozens)... hours of work and headache that could've easily been avoided
I'll like to add to the sentiments regarding this issue.
It's always a pain, but I did a very long job recently that was divided into 900+ jobs, and it probably took me three times as long to complete the job due to the issues with the slow workbench, as opposed to if it had been sent as a single job or an attached file.
Agreed. Also, there is another problem: whenever you use the filter, say, in order to show only the non-completed jobs, it just hangs for a really long time. If you refresh, try it again and it works, if you back to All jobs, those you just worked on are empty!
This thread is old, but the problem still exists.
After a very long exchange of e-mails with Support in August 2021, where I kept asking if there was anything I could do on my end to make the flow easier (I was working on a $1000 standard collection, thousands of two-line tiny jobs), I was advised to open the collection on Incognito mode on Chrome. It took HOURS to get this very simple reply, maybe even two days. Needless to say, I was super frustrated after having wasted so much time with a slower performance. It's not that it fixed things, it was marginally less slow. I was working off-line anyway because working on the Dashboard is literally impossible with such long jobs. They were aware of the problem back then (I had been experiencing it for months if not years), and didn't even suggest a work-around when contacted and asked initially. I don't know what to think about this, to be honest.
I work off-line, then I copy paste. It's the only way I'm able to type without having to wait for minutes for the translated text to appear on the screen. And pray to any and all deities you don't have to correct a typo.