0

So last month, I translated 12 jobs for a very big project (EN > HE). The approval deadline listed for all jobs is 240 hours, yet several weeks have already passed, and the jobs are still pending second pass. I received no update about this delay, and only when I reached out to support last week I was told the project is still being reviewed. The support rep also told me I was supposed to be contacted by the Community Manager and the Head of Experience, which so far hasn't happened. So despite meeting the deadline and all the requirements on my end, I'm left in the dark to depend on the mercy of an ambiguous client. Has this happened to anyone else (recently or in the past)? I want to know whether this is a bigger issue, and what I can do to ensure I'm properly compensated for my hard work as well as for this negligence on Gengo's part.

3 comments

  • 0
    Avatar
    Lara Fernandez

    Hi gal.hazor,

    Thanks for bringing this up. 

    We recently had a similar issue with a separate project from the same client, you can read the thread here. After much back and forth, we were able to issue payment for these jobs despite the fact that they are still held. I understand this is highly inconvenient, but please also note that it's an exception to the rule, and that we're doing as much as we can to keep things moving. 

    For the particular project and LP that you've worked on, it seems that we haven't gotten the greenlight yet to proceed with payment for these jobs yet. I will ping the team and update you here as soon as I know more.

    Thanks,

    Lara

  • 0
    Avatar
    gal.hazor

    @Lara Fernandez

    Hi Lara, I understand this is not ordinary, but it provides me very little comfort or even understanding of the situation. Why are the payments still being delayed? Who specifically is handling this matter? Why should I have to bear the brunt of what is clearly a conflict between Gengo and the client? I still haven't gotten a full, clear and detailed explanation, nor an assurance that I would be compensated in full (at the very least) for my work, if not for the long waiting time I have to tolerate. I've been delivering translations of consistently good quality for this company, and I simply do not understand why I have to suffer when I kept my end of the deal. It deeply damages my trust of the company.

    Furthermore, once this issue is resolved (which I truly hope and expect to happen very soon), I'd suggest ceasing all work with this client. Considering this is, as you mentioned, at least the second time this issue arises with this client, it would be just to remove the client in accordance with Section 4.c of the Translator Agreement.

  • 0
    Avatar
    Lara Fernandez

    Hi @gal.hazor,

    Payments are being delayed for some language pairs for which the end customer and our parent company, Lionbridge, hasn't given the greenlight to issue payment for yet. The reason for the jobs being held at the moment is based on certain quality requirements by the end customer, and so we're waiting on their final word to proceed. However, please do note that you will be paid for your work (just like everybody else has been paid in the thread I linked yesterday).

    As to who specifically is handling this matter -- I am following up with the translators and pinging our Projects Team regularly to move this forward, but unfortunately the last word is not ours, and there's no one single person involved who can make a decision. I pinged our Projects Team again about moving forward with payments for your language pair and they will be consulting with the end customer within the week. 

    I realized now I forgot to address one point you brought in your first post above: 

    The support rep also told me I was supposed to be contacted by the Community Manager and the Head of Experience, which so far hasn't happened.

    This sounds like it was a mistake on the part of the Support agent you've spoken to. I did contact everybody whose payments were issued last Friday to notify them of this, and further expectations, but not the language pairs that are pending yet. For everybody else, as I mention above, I'm still in talks with the team to move things forward. We paid last Friday some language pairs whose job had been held for a longer time than EN>HE jobs, but I would expect your language pair to go next. I understand that this experience damages your trust in us, and I apologize for the inconvenience, but this is, in many ways, out of Gengo's control, and I hope that reading the other thread I linked you to and seeing the fact that it was successfully resolved will reassure you that this will be the same for you.

    As for the dealings with this particular client, you bring a valid point with the quote from the Translator Agreement, but this particular project is not ordered or managed directly by the customer on the platform, and it is handled by our parent company. While we are of course making it a point to pass feedback along and to let them know how these delays disrupt the system and inconvenience our translators, handling the customer is at their discretion. 

    Thanks for your patience while we work to resolve this issue,

    Lara

Please sign in to leave a comment.