Hi! My name is Gabriel, and I've been an EN > ES translator on Gengo for more than two years now.
On my experience, the platform always had some occasional bug here and there, nothing too disruptive, but lately, constant bugs, both old and new, are really beginning to hamper my workflow. I'll describe some of them to see if there is something wrong on my end (same experience on Chrome and a clean install of Firefox) or if this is happening to more people:
Deceptive "Collection unavailable" popups
Let's say you try to grab a collection: upon hitting "Start translating" you get a nondescript "Something went wrong" error popup (remember this character, as it will be the villain on the 2nd act!), upon closing it, you try again, and it says that the collection is unavailable. Ok, someone else grabbed it, what can you do, right? better luck next time... but, then you go back to your dashboard and see the collection has actually been assigned to you.
Fortunately, I know to always check for that in cases like this, otherwise I may just go "Oh, well", close the tab thinking someone simply beat me to it and then the collection would just expire, with me risking penalization for not working on a collection I didn't know I was assigned to on the first place because the platform specifically told me so.
This used to happen very, very rarely, but now it happens all the time (for me at least). Like half the time I take a collection or even more!
(Believe it or not, I grabbed that one. As a matter of fact, this just happened while I was composing this very same post. I was pretty confident that I would find this collection on my "Incomplete" folder when I took the screenshot, since it happens all the time)
"Something went wrong" popups everywhere
When opening collections, when accepting them (as previously mentioned), when loading more jobs on big collections, when submitting collections (which, similar to my previous point, makes it look like it wasn't submitted, although it actually was), out of nowhere when you are just typing, etc. It doesn't always happen, but lately it happens a lot, and it can get quite disruptive.
(the bane of my existence, basically)
Sometimes "Could not save" errors (the upper black bar thingie) are pretty constant too
This can lead to issues and get very problematic on collections with a lot of short jobs. You have to be attentive and click on "Retry" or just manually force the job into saving again (I usually do a quick space-backspace on the job to make it re-trigger the save process so I don't have to reach for the mouse) as this usually triggers when you are already on the following job of the collection, or you risk leaving an "unidentified" non-saved job out there.
Since this gets its accompanying "Something went wrong" popup, I tend to just hit intro to get over with it and keep working (as most of this popups are meaningless anyways) and I don't immediately notice the "Your recent changes may not have been saved" warning (or maybe my brain ends up filtering it out as background noise because of seeing it too much).
This can lead to "missing" unsaved jobs that you can't pinpoint (since they don't look any different from a saved job) unless you refresh the page to see which ones come up empty (thus effectively losing your efforts on those jobs). This also can get very tedious on big jobs with a lot of collections. Yeah, theoretically, you have the "Empty" filter, but it seems to get stuck loading forever on big collections (or maybe the empty job on the server side conflicts with the non-empty text box on your browser on your side, who knows). Besides, there is also the problem of jobs that only got saved halfway through, so you couldn't filter them like that anyways.
A couple of days ago I suffered this on a +200 jobs collection, where the completion bar showed I was missing just one job, although I had translated all of them. I didn't think at first to simply refresh the page (and I wanted to try solving it myself before contacting support), so locating that unruly job was quite tedious, to be honest (plus I found a couple more which only got "half saved").
If I may, I'd suggest making save errors to automatically trigger a retry on the affected job without user prompt, or that saved jobs at least give some visual cue that they are indeed successfully saved, like displaying a check mark or something (probably easier to implement than automatic retry, although it still wouldn't warn about jobs only saved halfway through). Or maybe some way to tell the collection to just try saving all unsaved jobs on the collection.
And please, don't get me wrong, I love Gengo! But it wasn't this buggy until recently, so it pains me to see it like this.
Sorry for the textwall and have a nice day!